Thursday, October 7, 2010

Cell phones social status and friendships!

I'm currently sitting on my couch watching a commercial for the Iphone 4 (note the multitasking while doing homework... lets see how this one goes), so why not start my response with that! I think that cellular devices indeed do have a way of socially classifying people. Firstly I will note that from where I am from, you do not just exchange cell numbers--you exchange PINS. Coming from a generally high-class (not to mention materialistic) area of the Jersey Shore, I can't tell you how many of my friends have questioned me why I don't own a blackberry... God forbid. However I must admit, my current phone came after I had lost and/or broken 2 shiny blackberry pearls. But I find it funny that some people look at my EnV 3, a very dependable phone, and call it "ghetto". Yet, if you don't have a phone that has the internet at its fingertips, how are you supposed to respond to Facebook posts, or download apps, or BBM? When I see people with nice phones I don't immediately judge that they are materialistic and wealthy. People are busy these days! Receiving and responding to e-mails the minute you get one is actually an acceptable and legitimate reason now to have a mobile device which requires you to pay $30 a month and more. So I don't think social status is always dependable on what type of phone you have. But if I see someone walking around with an Iphone or blackberry with the same sparkly pink case my best friend from home flaunts, yes I think people could get some ideas. Which brings me to my next response--friendships and texting.
             Speaking of my best friend from home, I can particularly think of several times we have gotten in "fights" because of miscommunication through text. That isn't to say that texting has surely created greater bonds and closer relationships among friends... especially girls I'd say. But they sure can mess things up sometimes! Example: usage of the Ha's. I've discussed with many people what the ha's mean in a text when responding to someone. If somebody says hahaha or more they are really laughing and think that its funny. If you say haha they kind of think it's funny, or just courtesy laughing. Lol probably is just a filler for not knowing what else to say. The most dreaded response is probably a ha. It is often perceived that if you get a ha in a text message, that means someone is mad at you or uninterested. See how it can get so complicated (this is but one silly example)! In a conversation we have facial expressions and tones. Text messaging is left to interpretation. And misinterpretation after misinterpretation is never a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment