Monday, September 13, 2010

Different Stances on Technology & its Relation to Culture

I found this reading very interesting because throughout all of the chapters, as they described the different theories and types of beliefs I found myself trying to place myself in different ones. For the most part, I found myself in the middle of two opposing beliefs/sides. For the first chapter, where they compare technology as a cause of a change in culture or as an effect, I found myself on the line in between. I can see both sides of the argument, and I feel as if it depends on what the technology is to decide which side you believe and how you look at it. For example, looking at the computer, it was made with the intention of making some task(s) easier and faster. In this way, it was made as an effect of our culture and it’s faster pace. However, if you look at how the computer has changed our society to the point where it is not only used to make tasks easier, but rather is used in almost every single thing we do in a day even for entertainment. From this perspective, it can be considered that a certain technology (the computer) has changed the way we live our life as a culture. It changes the things we do day to day, and instead of maybe going outside for a walk we sit down on the computer to chat with a friend or play a game. We rely on the computer to do everything for us and I feel that if it was taken away, especially in work places, people would be unable to complete even the simplest tasks.
A comparison I found interesting was the master and slave one talked about in the Control chapter. It talked about how in The Phenomenology of Mind a philosopher talks about how Masters become dependent on their slaves to work, and in doing their work they come to a level of self-understanding that the masters do not have. In this way, among others, masters are very reliant on their slaves, almost making it seem as if they are in fact the “slaves” in a way. I definitely can see where this comparison can come into play in the modern world. We, as people, create new technologies to make things easier. However, the more we create the more we rely on these things and the more we can do in a day. So, like it was said earlier in the book, we create these technologies to make tasks easier but we are instead creating the ability to accomplish more, so instead of giving ourselves more time to relax we are giving ourselves reasons to wash the dishes, do laundry, vacuum, etc. because each task takes a substantial amount of less time and work.
I really never thought there could be a certain “theory” or “reasoning” to explain technology and how it affects our culture unless it somehow simply states that it really depends on the situation and technology. After reading these few chapters, I feel even more confident in that stance.

1 comment: