Monday, September 27, 2010

Networks & Globalization

I found that the readings shed new light on what I thought connected the world. I have always known that the world was connected by a network of different people and leaders, but I did not think that every level of politics has its own network that spans all over the world. The constituents have their own network and so does businesses and lobbyists. After that, all of Congress has their own network with other American politicians, then the President and other world leaders. Through various webs we are all connected, and as more people are able to go into the network, the more complicated the webs become. 
With globalization's help, these networks will spread all over the world. Anti-globalist will try to stop it but its a futile cause. With progress of technology comes the desire from all people's to have it. Technology does cause homogenization of culture but people have apparently made their choices and that doesn't matter as much as checking Facebook to them. There is no end to the spread of technologies as they become more available to everyone, for example many tribes in Africa use cell phones to keep in touch with each other. Before the use of cell phones and the internet. Also almost everywhere in the world an American will be able to find at least one brand name they recognize, such as McDonald's. I experienced globalization first hand when I went to Europe in 2008 and was expecting to hear Spanish music in Spain, but I heard literally the same music I would hear on any American pop station, I was disappointed to know that I may never experience true foreign culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment