Monday, September 27, 2010

Globalization

            I found the chapter on globalization in Slack and Wise to be interesting.  It got me thinking about our society and our dependence on countries that most of us will never see.  Furthermore, it got me thinking about our lives without a global economy.  However, there are two specific parts of the chapter that really stood out to me.
            First, Slack and Wise quote Paul du Gay on his thoughts of globalization. Du Gay says, “The concept of globalization has achieved such widespread exposure, and has become such a powerful explanatory device and guide to action, that it sometimes appears almost unquestionable” (p.185). I agree with this statement because I feel that it has become this large push for companies to be global in order to compete in the economy.  Yet I am still confused at this large demand for globalization.  Although I do understand that there are ways in which we can rely on other countries for exports and vice versa, but it is very hard to see our own economy and our own local businesses hurting because so many companies have gone overseas for cheaper materials and labor.  This leads me questioning the intentions of our business and ultimately the effects that it is having on the rest of the world
            Secondly, Slack and Wise a landscape metaphor to discuss globalization. They say, “Because they continually contradict each other, globalization will never become a process of homogenization” (p. 186).  This statement pretty much directly contradicts a study that I had read for another class. I cannot recall the exact specifications of the study, but it was about the way music has become homogenized through a meshing of styles. Although they were not specifically referring to music, I think it serves as a pretty strong example.  I don’t think it’s possible for cultures to be mixed and for no crossing over to occur.  Maybe no crossing over will take place in the beginning, but over time I think it’s plausible for cultures to adapt and change based on what they’ve witnessed/ learned of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment