Monday, September 27, 2010

Globalization

I found this reading very interesting. I did not realize that there were people that are actually “anti-globalization” and are attempting to stop it. I find that rather humorous because it is incredibly impossible. I do think that it definitely has good and bad aspects to it, but regardless, I do not see any way of stopping globalization. This is seen with the examples they use of genetically modified (GM) foods. I am sure they are not good for you (or at least not AS good for you as the natural foods), but the population in the world has grown so much that it is what is required to feed people, and it still is not enough to feed everyone! As much as I hate to think of genetically modified foods, it seriously creeps me out to think about it, they are something that will probably be around for a long time.


I think that internet has the biggest impact on globalization. It allows the quick sharing of ideas, as was mentioned in Culture and Technology. These ideas can be put up on a website by someone in the United States, and five minutes later someone in China can be reading them. It has a bigger impact than a phone or e-mail because its audience is anyone in the world who has access to the internet. It is not limited to just friends of whoever has the idea or comes up with a new concept. I also found this funny, because those people who are anti-globalization are using the exact thing that has such a big impact on globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment