Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Response to Article

     After reading the article by L. Winner for class, I found it interesting how he discussed technologies and whether or not they have politics to them. I don't think there is any question that there is really no correct answer to this question. We have debated this several times during class discussions: Do we or do we not have control over the technologies that are present in the society? As we continue to read and get more and more information regarding this subject, I find myself moving closer to the fact that we, as human agents, have the decision over how we use the technology that is present.
     To show this, I think it is best to go back to the discussion we had during one of the first classes about guns. Guns came about in our society for one purpose, which was to kill, and now, human agents have the decision and control as to how to use that type of technology. If we want to use the gun as a tool to kill somebody else, than that is what we are going to do. if we want to use the gun for another purpose, than we can also do that, but ultimately I think the decision is ours.
     As far as if society does have any real influence on technological changes, I am really not sure as to where I stand. I think it's possible that we might be losing our ability to have any influence because of living in a society where technology keeps developing more and more. As technology continues to move in this direction, I think we will start to have less and less control over any of the decision making, forcing us to leave it into the hands of experts and trust them, which can be scary. Does this mean that these experts who might control the direction of technology have more control over people's lives?

1 comment: