Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Expressive Causality or Articulation and Assemblage?

    Technology is obviously a huge part of our world.  I don't think there is anybody that will deny that.  But the question that we have been investigating in class is how exactly it is a part of our world.  Slack and Wise have recently presented us with two different views on this matter. Expressive Causality and Articulation and Assemblage.
     Expressive Causality is a theory that states that all cultural connections or anything regarding technology and culture is derived from one essential element, or critical factor if you will. Eveything in culture has one underlying element to it which "caused" it.
     Articulation and Assemblage talks about how everything in culture is intermingled with technology and that it is integrally connected to th e context within which it is developed and used(Slack, Wise p112).  This is very different from the expressive causality standpoint in that there is no "critical element" explaining everything in technology.
     I personally tend to agree with Articulation and Assemblage.  When I get into my truck to drive to wherever I need to go, I dont think that I am doing it because of an underlying reason of efficient transportation, rather I am doing it because society has made it easier for me to transport myself and whatever else I have with me.  There are too many elements in technology today to all be explained by one critical factor.  Everything is brought together and related through the society that made them which is just as intermingled.

No comments:

Post a Comment