Monday, September 27, 2010

Globalization and Networks

When reading the two readings the one thing that struck me the most, was the fact that I had not really thought about any of this. Whatever is, just is. I am taught not to question anything, just to except it. But now that I have thought about it, in Castells piece, the idea that "network society expands on a global scale...networks know no boundaries" is rather creepy to me. I know that this concept is amazing in the way that it connects people faster and so on; but does anyone else find it weird that we have a "network society" as opposed to a... I don't know... face to face society. Even more so, doesn't it creep anybody out that this makes it so much easier for anyone, and I mean anyone, to stalk and find people. Although, he is right when he says, "networks are the underlying structure of our lives." It has always been that way. I just don't think that having a society and networks all online is completely healthy. When Castells says that "networks are the Matrix," does the movie "The Matrix" spring to mind for anybody else?
I do not always think in terms of "what can this technology do for us? and How will it effect others? and What can we gain from shipping this over seas and enslaving children and steeling peoples lively hoods?" I think more in the way of "do they even want this technology?" So when it comes to globalization, and the question of whether it is good or not, I don't really know. It depends on the situation. But what I do know is that in the piece by Slack and Wise on page 185 when they say, "Those advocating development often ignore the specific contexts of the reception of the products and knowledge, ignore local conditions, and ignore local knowledge," not once do they mention ignoring the wants and rights of those people. That's not right. And you know what else isn't right? The fact that we take away someones food for our own gain and the fact that boycotting companies that use child labor is even an issue. What on earth is our world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment