Monday, September 27, 2010

Technological Globalization

Technology and Globalization is a very interesting topic for me. I find that when looking at the changes in our society today it is impossible not to see how technological innovations are re-defining terms like community and neighborhood. There are countless virtual worlds and games and networking sites etc. that allow people from all over the entire world to communicate freely with each other. These inventions take things like time and space and location, things that would have acted previously as constraints in communication and completely eliminate them.
I have experienced this kind of global interaction personally when friends of mine were studying abroad in countries all over the world ranging from Australia, Great Britain, Spain and Mexico. I used Skype, a video chatting device and could talk with them in real time as if we were in the same room. I could see their faces and hear their voices right on the screen of my computer. This technology is used frequently by people all over and is included in games and other forms of technology as well. This form of communication that to me basically summarizes globalization utilizes the internet.
The internet in my opinion is the leading contributor to globalization in our world today. Manual Castells, the author of "Why Networks Matter" would agree with me in this concept. He describes that our network society can be attributed to the development of microelectronics and software based communication technologies on a global and local scale. He says that this affects all aspects of society and I would have to agree.
As far as those who promote an anti-globalization world I would have to disagree with their perspectives. I feel that globalization will ultimately lead to a more peaceful world. As societies spread and intermingle with one another common ideals and values will be better understood and shared among different cultures across the world. I believe that if different cultures can be understood by one another there will be less cause for conflicts to arise between them. In a global community there will not be as many wars and conflicts because people will be more understanding and able to negotiate and compromise.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree with basically one hundred percent of what you posted. I do consider there to be a more sinister aspect of globalization which includes the agenda of the corporations who design and own these networks, however, I feel that our intensions within these structures usually germinate into something more powerful. :]

    ReplyDelete