Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Technology and Politics

After reading Winners article, I have been exposed to many thoughts and questions about technology that I had never thought of before. Last week I had labeled myself in the "technology is neutral group". However when it was explained why if this is the case, then it can't be political, I guess I changed my mind. While beginning the reading I was thinking to myself---how could technology not be political. Everything is political. And by this I mean according to Winner's definition of political.

While beginning the readings on Winner's article, I must admit I found myself extremely confused and uninterested. My best guess as to why, is that it began with older technologies--technologies that I think we sometimes forget are considered technology. However, I found it easier to understand his reasoning while relating it to things I know more about. For example when he brought up the atom bomb. This is where it finally clicked to me. How could you possibly have a technological device so powerful without monitoring it with some sort of higher force. It reminded me of in class when somebody brought up that President Obama was trying to have a switch for the Internet. Though I don't believe this is logical and/or fair, technology has the ability to take over lives in such a manner that it could harm the world.

My final thought about technology and politics is how it effects the people. For example economically--developing railroads created faster, more efficient business. My connection--the Bill Clinton Boom. Several job opportunities were created and lifestyles were improved thanks to the technological advancements of the time period. I remember my grandmother once ignorantly saying, "I like Bill Clinton because we were rich when he was President". However, it is technology to thank for that. So with all of that said, there is no question that technology is not only political, but influential on people's lives, as it has been for hundreds and hundreds of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment